Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 12:39:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        matra <matra@diemme.it>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie...

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, matra wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, matra wrote:
> >
> > > Under Linux i have only to patch the kernel and recompile! Why have i to
> > > install and recompile everyting ?!..
> >
> > [soapbox on]
> > Because we do not do things the way Linux does.  FreeBSD is composed of
> > highly organized RELEASES.  One kernel version, one set of binaries, one
> > published install set. Not ten.  When you get the FreeBSD CDROM, you can
> > say, "This IS FreeBSD," not, "This is xyz's mishmash of FreeBSD."
>
> So have i to buy EVERY Walnut Creek CD to have a current and not obsolete
> FreeBSD box ?!

Nope.  Your options are far better than Linux.  You can cvsup -stable or
-current, make world whenever you want, and never have to buy another
CDRom or do a massive FTP. This includes all the binaries, in addition
to the kernel.  You can FTP any snapshots or installs that are available.
If you want to parallel linux, you can even sup or ftp just the kernel.
And just like with linux, if you do this and the kernel requires updated
tools, you'll get bitten in the behind if you're not following the
discussions.

Except for the very first FreeBSD machine we put in here, we've always had
the latest stable version of FreeBSD installed before the WC CDRom
arrived.

I'm a Linux convert, largely because of this.  RedHat has certain parts of
their distribution broken in subtle ways, and Slackware is no better off.
In other areas, they're not broken, but still different. Finally, I'm
still baffled by the fact that Linux 2.0.0 had a broken select() call.
Sorry for being so grouchy, but that one bit me hard.