Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 15:11:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Francois Pollet <fpollet@relay.perceval.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS T2P4 and Adaptec 2940AU

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:

> At 08:37 AM 1/16/97 -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >At 12:42 PM 1/16/97 +0100, Francois Pollet wrote:
> >>
> >>Troubles in reboot with 2.1.6-RELEASE
> >>
> >>ASUS P55T2P4 bios 1.08
> >>AHA2940AU bios 1.21
> >>Seagate ST32155N 2.1Gb firmware 0532 with a FreeBSD only partition and
> >>standard MBR
> >>
> >>No problems during installation, geometry used is the geometry reported
> >>by a DOS fdisk (261/255/63), no errors reported during installation
> >>
> >>Everything works perfectly after a power on
> >>
> >>2940AU hangs and fails to detect SCSI devices after a soft or a hard reboot
> >>A real power on is always required to restart the machine
> >>
> >>First I thought it was a compatibility problem between the T2P4 and the
> >2940AU
> >>but it seems to work fine with a DOS only partition
> >>
> >>Can somebody help ?
> >

> >I am sure its not what you wanted to hear, but I had the exact same problem
> >with the above mentioned card on an ECS Pentium motherboard... I ended up
> >bugging my distributor to find me a generic 2940.... I am very suprised
> >that someone said they got that particular card working with 2.1.5.  I
> >could not even get 2.1.5 to recognize the card for what it was.
> >
> >	---Mike
>
> I use a 2940U in a 2.1.5 system. It gives me sometimes at reboot the
> problem, that it lists all scsi devices found, but then never comes back
> with the Bios installed message, reset or power cycle helps mostly.
>
> Ulf.

I believe it's specifically the 2940UA -- not the 'A' -- that is the
culprit here. It's a lower grade version of the 2940/2940U . Get one
without the 'A' and the problems should go away...  A lot of stores around
here are selling the 2940UA instead of the 2940U, often for the latter's
price. I know many people who've been ripped off with the 2940UA. Of
course lots of dealers just don't know the difference. Search the archives
for an explanation of the differenced between the two controllers (aside
from the boot utilities).

-Mark

| Mark Mayo		  mark@quickweb.com       |
| RingZero Comp.  	  vinyl.quickweb.com/mark |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch