Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 06:43:09 -0400
From:      Anthony Jenkins <abjenkins@attbi.com>
To:        Wm Brian McCane <root@mccons.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memory/swapping problem

Wm Brian McCane wrote:

>I am having a problem with a new server that I am setting up to host my
>UseNet news and email.
>
>Machine:
>	1.26GHz 512MB/L1 Cache
>	768MB PC133 Memory
>	4x60GB UDMA100 IDE Drives
>	4x36GB 160MBit SCSI Drives
>
>OS:	5.0-CURRENT (yes I know, but I have been CURRENT since 386bsd 0.1)
>Software:
>	INN 2.3.3
>	Sendmail w/amavisd milter
>	ipop3d
>
>This machine has been running for about 2 months on CURRENT with no
>problems, but I recently upgraded the CPU from an 866 to the new one.  At
>that time, I also planned to replace the motherboard with a new Intel SAI2
>dual processor board, add a 2nd processor and drop in 3x512MB ECC
>Registered DIMMs.  So I built and installed a more current CURRENT and
>added SMP to the config for my kernel.  The motherboard was defective, so
>I put back in the original board and memory chips, while I wait for the
>replacement board.  The 2nd night after the build was done, I started
>having memory/swap/wired problems.  I rebuilt the kernel for UP operation,
>but the problems have not gone away.
>
>Machine averages about 95% idle all day except during news expiration.
>For the first day, it averages around 45M wired.  'inn' process is about
>137MB RSS.  During expiration there is an understandable spike in CPU and
>Swap activity.  'expire' process is about 259MB RSS.  When the expiration
>completes there is about 254MB still wired.  The second night it goes to
>500+MB wired and the system never finishes expiration before I get a call
>that email is down.  I have actually gone out and killed every process
>running on the machine that I can (including inetd, syslogd, cron, sshd,
>sendmail and inn).  The wired memory is never released until I reboot the
>machine.

The only issue that I've had that remotely resembles that involes CPU
usage, not memory.  Assuming your statistics are from top(1), can you
try 'top -S' to display what system process resources are also?  I'm
betting it's some system task, since your killing user processes has had
no effect.  (btw my issue is the "irq10:" task seemingly locked in
*Giant state and sucking >50% the CPU/WCPU measure.)

--
Anthony Jenkins