Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2007 17:29:19 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How does one start mysql after installing from ports

--==========A84EFF6CCD1EDFB8F185==========

--On July 4, 2007 4:00:48 PM -0600 Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>=20
wrote:

> This is pretty pathetic but I'm batting a 1000 on this one.  I
> installed mysql a few weeks ago on this web server I'm making for my
> church and didn't do anything with it at that point (that was the
> first mistake).  I've not used mysql (I usually use PostgreSQL) but
> WebGUI wants mysql.  So, being completely unfamiliar with it, I cannot
> figure out how to start this thing.
>
> I eventually figured out that the mysqld process starts by using
> mysqld_safe in /usr/local/bin.  However, I can't get it to start.  At
> first it was because the directory /var/db/mysql didn't exist.  I
> created that and now I get this:

All ports that run daemons should put a startup script in=20
/usr/local/etc/rc.d.  Mysqld does.  Look at that script and it will=20
explain what you need to do to start mysql.  The port maintainer has=20
written the script so that it should start mysqld properly.

Basically, you add mysqld_enable=3D"YES" to the /etc/rc.conf file, but =
look=20
at the script and read the comments in it.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/