Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:31:25 +0200
From:      Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wrong drive Geometry with IBM Deskstar + Tyan Mainboard ?

Hi,

I´ve just been trying to setup FreeBSD 4.5 on hardware consisting of
a Tyan Thunder LE-T mainboard and an IBM IDE harddisk with 40 GIG.

When I boot off CD, I can do the installation and everything seems fine.

When I do a reboot, the system hangs.

Even if I do have a bootable CD inserted, the systems tries to boot
from harddisk (first boot device is CD) and stops with no messages
on the screen.

No prompt. Nothing. Just something in the upper left corner of the monitor
that resembles a cursor.

Does anyone have an idea why:

- the bootable CD is being ignored ?

- why the installation works but the boot process
  does not even start ?

- how I can fix this ?

Maybe this has something to do with the drive geometry - when
I start the installation, fdisk complains about
"79780/16/63" being not a a valid geometry and choses to use
"5005/255/63" instead.

Hmmm ...

Thanks and regards,

Emre