Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 95 11:41:10 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On ESDI install.

> Since bad144 was broken for drives over 1024 cylinders, I had to
> reformat a couple of times to get it down to 1 bad sector per track and
> use sector sparing. That left a couple of bad sectors on wd1, took care
> of them by creating a bunch of files until I had a file with the bad
> block in it.

Yeah, I think the relocation of the bad block replacements to the end
of the partition is a bad thing.  It should either go before the 'a'
slice (limiting its size) or after the 'a' slice (pushing out what
"might work" to get the kernel under 1024).

> Xenix did all their bad blocks that way. Created a .badblock file in the
> partition root and filled it with bad blocks. Was a lot more convenient than
> bad144...

I think the idea of "perfect media" and "file system independent block
replacement" is bad.  If I had my druthers, I'd probably bring back the
bad block list on inode 1 instead.

Consider a mounted DOS partition with bad blocks on it.  What do you do
when you find one under BSD?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---