Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 2021 13:15:38 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        "Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving from .uu.o -> .o in the kernel

On 8 Apr 2021, at 5:26, Warner Losh wrote:

Hi,

> In preparations for bringing a new vendor driver in, I realized that
> one of
> the promises of svn was that one could store .o files in the repo. We
> never
> did that, preferring to stick with the old CVS trick of storing the .o
> files as .o.uu files and converting them as part of the build process.

..

> My proposal is to simplify. I propose that we remove the .uu files and
> just
> commit the .o files and adjust the build to simplify it. It turns out
> that
> our config(8) knows that when there's a .o in the kernel files* file,
> just
> to copy that .o file over when the driver is in the tree.

and we’ve done similar things for, e.g., firmware files storing the
binary
rather than the uuencoded versions in the tree.  I am all for the
simplification!

I am a bit concerned with .o files in random places in the source tree
though as
they may show up and various tooling people have might clean them up.
I’d suggested to keep it in mind and go ahead and do a few and see if
it becomes
a practical issue rather than just a theoretical one before taking any
actions ..

/bz