Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:07:17 -0800
From:      "John Stockdale" <jstockdale@stanford.edu>
To:        <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SMP Enabled Make?

I am curious as to whether or not there is a SMP enabled version of make
for FreeBSD. I was recompiling my kernel yesterday and the fact that it
only spooled onto one processor annoyed me. Now although optimizing an
actual compiling operation for SMP is very difficult, is there (or why
isn't there) a make that will spool as many gcc operations at once as
you specify, or just as many as cpu's exist?

Seems that this combined with a ramdisk containing kernel source would
take make times from 8 mins down to about 3 (with HyperThreading).

Thanks

-John