Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:59:10 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS redundancy & load balancing

>We have a primary & secondary DNS server on our local network.
>We need some utility or setup that will automatically allow our secondary
>DNS to totally take over from our primary DNS in the event our primary DNS
>goes down.
>
>This means effectively that that in the event of a primary DNS failure our
>secondary DNS must be able to change it's own IP address to that of the dead
>primary DNS server and take over all resolution etc.

If both DNS's are in the delegation data for a zone, then the
standard query behavior of resolvers and other DNS's will query all
delegated DNS's until they get a response.  To "DNS clients", there
is not a primary or secondary DNS for a zone, all its NS
records.  Losing one of two NS's is not fatal, and will only slow 50%
of the queries that will timeout before trying the other DNS.

Load sharing among all DNS's for a zone is already acomplished by DNS
altering the physical order of NS records for each query.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 T9B for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways