Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:41:57 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Losing hostname after power-loss

> Hi.
>
> After a power-failure, my 2.2.6-STABLE machine decided to
> lose it's hostname from the rc.conf file. Nothing else was
> affected.

You mean one line was deleted from the file?  Did the file creation date
mean anything to you?

This happened to me recently (scary) but it turned out that rc.conf was
completely missing.  I keep mine in RCS, and I apparently forget the -u
option the last time I checked it in.  Recovery was easy once I figured
out *why* it didn't know its own name.