Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2023 20:14:19 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Random sshd hangs

--Apple-Mail=_E4B1C057-BA57-498A-8CF0-EED71691F6B1

I have a FreeBSD 13.2 system that I use for software development.  I =
have been working on a project that uses libgd to create charts.  Since =
libgd is so completely documented, I have to try lots of different =
things to find the one that will work.  occasionally, during this =
development, ssh would hang right after running my program.  All =
existing ssh sessions lock up and eventually time out and disconnect.  =
However, new ssh sessions can be established and there appears to be =
nothing unusual with the system.  Top shows everything is quiet.  My =
first thought was that my code was dumping core, but there are no core =
files and there is no notice about a core dump in messages.  During this =
time, web access is also unavailable although the web server is running =
and showing no arriving connections.

After somewhere around 5-10 minutes, everything returns to normal.  This =
is not consistent. I can run the program 10 time fine before the next =
hang.  There is nothing I have found that is common to the hangs.  Now =
that I have the program running correctly, the system never seems to =
hang again.  All my ideas on what is causing this are not supported by =
the facts.  It's not a core dump issue.  It does not appear to be an IP =
issue as IP continues to work, as do new ssh connections.  The web =
server is sitting there completely idle.  It never receives any =
requests.  I suppose it could be something in libgd, but it would seem =
that would be continuing even now.  I am a lot confused over this.  I =
don't want to upgrade my production servers as Those hangs would be =
killers to my clients.  Any ideas what this might be, or what to =
investigate if it happens again?

-- Doug

--Apple-Mail=_E4B1C057-BA57-498A-8CF0-EED71691F6B1

charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">I have a =
FreeBSD 13.2 system that I use for software development. &nbsp;I have =
been working on a project that uses libgd to create charts. &nbsp;Since =
libgd is so completely documented, I have to try lots of different =
things to find the one that will work. &nbsp;occasionally, during this =
development, ssh would hang right after running my program. &nbsp;All =
existing ssh sessions lock up and eventually time out and disconnect. =
&nbsp;However, new ssh sessions can be established and there appears to =
be nothing unusual with the system. &nbsp;Top shows everything is quiet. =
&nbsp;My first thought was that my code was dumping core, but there are =
no core files and there is no notice about a core dump in messages. =
&nbsp;During this time, web access is also unavailable although the web =
server is running and showing no arriving =
everything returns to normal. &nbsp;This is not consistent. I can run =
the program 10 time fine before the next hang. &nbsp;There is nothing I =
have found that is common to the hangs. &nbsp;Now that I have the =
program running correctly, the system never seems to hang again. =
&nbsp;All my ideas on what is causing this are not supported by the =
facts. &nbsp;It's not a core dump issue. &nbsp;It does not appear to be =
an IP issue as IP continues to work, as do new ssh connections. =
&nbsp;The web server is sitting there completely idle. &nbsp;It never =
receives any requests. &nbsp;I suppose it could be something in libgd, =
but it would seem that would be continuing even now. &nbsp;I am a lot =
confused over this. &nbsp;I don't want to upgrade my production servers =
as Those hangs would be killers to my clients. &nbsp;Any ideas what this =