Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:07:08 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems installing FreeBSD 4.0 20000125-CURRENT

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 04:06:31PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > IMHO, that is the wrong assumption.  Most DHCP servers I've seen aren't
> > setup to provide hostnames to the requrestor.
>
> Seems they're set up incorrectly then.

Not at all.

> You can't be a good "network citizen" these days without a resolvable
> hostname that also matches your primary IP address or, among other
> things, you won't be able to send mail directly to anyone who practices
> traditional spam filtering techniques.

I will state unequivocally that most DHCP clients use a local mail relay.
And the local relay will use a "generic" hostname on the email address.

Also, the DNS "name" has nothing to do with the host's name.  The sites
DNS admins will have both forward and reverse (A & PTR) RR's.

Also I will state in large shops, they don't hardcode IPs to particular
machines.  Thus over time a machine has many different IPs.  People would
not be too happy to see their hostnames change all the time, nor to be
the typical "foo-bar-dhcp-134-89" that the assigned IP will resolve to.
In a Winloose network, they don't care about matching machine names with
DNS hostnames.

> This also isn't just pedantry because, as I noted before, specifying
> the hostname will currently cause it to override the DHCP hostname
> value even if it is specified (as it certainly is on *my* DHCP server :-)

Yes, this behavior is ISC's ruled desire.  From experience Ted Lemon and
Co. knows that most shops don't handout hostnames, and when they do they
are long nonsensical ones.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)