Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:59:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        pete@ns.altadena.net
Cc:        jlp@softhome.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_wi with dhclient problem

In message: <200203150034.g2F0Ypc49439@ns.altadena.net>
            Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net> writes:
: > Just curious... you said you had an fxp0 in this machine.
: >
: > Try "ifconfig fxp0 down" before doing the "dhclient wi0".
:
: This has never been needed before last week.  It apparently is needed
: if I use IPX but I don't.  And, adding an IP address (*any* IP addr)
: to the wi0 before dhclient makes it work even without downing the
: fxp.  I think there is a (new) feature to if_wi that won't send any IP
: packet if it doesn't have an address yet.
:
: (The other case where downing the fxp has been needed is if it had an
: address and default route before inserting the wireless card.  However
: that isn't the case here either; I'm starting from a fresh boot).

Since ifconfig fxp0 down fixes this problem for me, I doubt it is a wi
driver problem.  I suspect that it is an intended side effect of some
more restrictive checking that's done in the network layer.

Warner