Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 1997 15:37:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I seriously need some networking help

Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com> wrote:

>> Sure, but that's only a cosmetical problem.  I've seen 10.*
>> intermediate network addressess even on major Internet relays when
>> tracerouting.

> So tell me what happens when the box that interface is on needs to send an
> ICMP message like can't fragment?
>
> What IP does it use?  If it uses the private one, you lose.  This does
> break things like PMTU-D.

It doesn't, even if the IP source address is 10.*.  As long as the
ICMP packet has the correct recipient address, it will arrive, and the
(original) sender takes the appropriate actions -- it couldn't verify
the validity of the ICMP packet's sender address anyway, be it 10.* or
anything else.

Besides, you could setup the configuration in a way so PMTU-D happens
at the inbound interface, but not between the various routers that are
linked by 10.* addresses.  Likewise, ensure the routability of the
packets is already checked at the inbound interface, so ICMP dst
unreach packets will be sent from there.

--
cheers, J"org