Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 2007 17:19:58 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Alexandre Biancalana <ale@seudns.net>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP Performance problem after upgrade to 5.1.6 or 5.2.0

Alexandre Biancalana wrote:

> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have performance problem with PHP after upgrading from PHP 5.1.4 to
>> newer version regardles if newer version is 5.1.6 or 5.2.0. I tested
>> both with same result.
>> I have two same servers (IBM x336 with dual Xeon 3GHz and 2GB RAM)
>> serving one webapplication (loadbalancing). Both machines are running
>> FreeBSD 6.0 SMP + Apache 2.0.59. If both machines have PHP 5.1.4,
>> everything is fine and load is about 1.5 (Apache is running 16-20
>> childs).
>> After upgrade to PHP 5.1.6 or 5.2.0, performance goes down - average
>> load is about 3-5 with peaks at 12-40 (in this peaks Apache starts to
>> run more childs, sometimes to MaxClients).
>> Both machines are serving identical content with same requests per
>> second, both versions of PHP are compiled from ports with same options.
>> Both have in loader.conf:
>> accf_data_load="YES"
>> accf_http_load="YES"
>>

> First of all you should upgrade the FreeBSD to 6.2-STABLE, since this
> has a LOT of improvements in the overall system. I would recommend you
> to disable HT too.

Yes, you are right, this is the last project, where I have 6.0, but I
have not spare machine to do some testing with 6.2 for this type of
usage. Those two are in production and if I turn off one of them, the
second can't survive the load. ;o(
I can't risk that result would be worse than is.
And even if your are right, the problem it self is in PHP version upgrade...

Miroslav Lachman