Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 01:44:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gryph@mindless.com (D.M.P.)
Cc:        andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM, kris@airnet.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting FreeBSD to the Mac (68K or PPC)

> Will Andrews wrote:
> > On 05-Oct-99 Kris Kirby wrote:
> >> It wasn't that long ago that I began to think about the fact that Apple
> >> had contacted the FreeBSD folks (-core, I think) about including some
> >> parts into Mac OS X. For some reason, I thought about the possiblity of
> >> porting FreeBSD to the "Mac" platform and was suddenly enlightened.
> >> However, if Mac OS X doesn't run on 68K machines, I see no reason why we
> >> can't ask for a little help in porting...
> >
> > The 68K machines are, as far as I'm concerned, obsolete. The last one
> > I used regularly (once or more a day) was the Mac LC 575, and that
> > was in 1995. I do not care anymore for such worthless hardware. If
> > you have a junky one around, it's probably good enough that NetBSD
> > would be able to run on it (I think).
>
> Don't count 68k's out just yet.  There's quite a few Performa and
> Quadra systems still in use as firewall boxes or low-traffic mail
> servers.  Just as one would use a 486 for the same jobs with FreeBSD.

FWIW:

	Name:		Palm Vx
	Availability:	October 4
	Cost:		$449 (http://www.palm.com/products/palmvx/index.html)
	RAM:		8MB
	Network:	iRDA
	Processor:	68328	<-- Note
	Keyboard:	Serial (KeySync Palm Keyboard DKP62, $69.00)

This is enough memory to run a 68x FreeBSD on a Palm Pilot.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.