Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:43:21 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        "Georg-W. Koltermann" <Georg.Koltermann@mscsoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.3 and JHTTP Servlet Engines

Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:

> At Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:17:44 +0100,
> Marc van Kempen wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>
>>I've also been fighting with tomcat over the past few days and could not
>>believe how much trouble it is. Sure, it's easy to install, but servlet
>>reloading is very unreliable. We have been using jserv until now, which
>>is rock solid, but we are forced to enter the new millenium and get up
>>to speed with the newer jserv api :)
>>

> Well, that's pretty much my situation as well.  I've been using jserv,
> and now it's time for the new API.
>
> What problems did you have with tomcat?  Did you try tomcat 3.x or
> tomcat 4 ?

I tried tomcat 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 and 4.0.

4.0 wouldn't even run it's own examples, so I threw that right out of
the window, 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 run ok, as long as you leave them alone, and
don't reload servlets.

The most reliable way to get tomcat to reload its servlets is to stop
it, remove the work directory content and then restart it again, but
that gets annoying when you're developing.

Mind you, I have been trying to get this to work and have put quite a
bit of hours into it already. I'm still not entirely convinced that I
understand fully what tomcat does, but I'm also having a hard time
believing that 3.2.3 is in this state, when they have been doing
releases for 1 or 2 years? I mean how do other people use it to develop?

Am I missing something or is tomcat really not good enough?

Regards,
Marc.