Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 1996 19:39:44 -0400
From:      Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>
To:        Kurt Schafer <kurt@cyberbeach.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unusual sendmail behavior ?

At 05:36 PM 9/5/96 -0400, Kurt Schafer wrote:

>Can anybody comment on their experiences with the sendmail daemon. I've noticed
>that whenever I do a 'ps' I see upwards of 10 sendmail processes going at any
>given time, and of those, there are always a good number of them that seem
>to last for several minutes.

nothing wrong with 10 active processes, I've seen averages of 25 mail processes.

>The /var/spool/mqueue directory yields several 1k message sizes, which I would
>think sendmail could transfer over a T1 line in a considerrably shorter
>period of time than 10 minutes or more.

check connectivity to the destinations (ie. port 25 usage via netstat, then do
a traceroute or ping).  If there is a saturated link......

what is the amount of mail received, perhaps some of your customers have
subscribed to very active lists or to every list in the "internet yellow pages".

-K
---
Ken Lam                                                   lam@awod.com
Integrated Technical Systems
Systems, Networks, and Internet Solutions -- Defining Technology Today
  "'Plug and Play' was only applicable to the original ATARI(tm)"