Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:24:00 -0600
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Anniversary

dg@root.com said:
>    It was...challenging. Bill once commented to me "Anyone who was
> actually able to successfully install 0.0 deserves a prize". It's
> been so long that I've forgotten the details, but I seem to recall
> that you had to do everything by hand with the distribution being a
> bunch of floppies that were all cat'd together...and the supported
> hardware configuration was basically: pccons, floppy, and wd
> controller. If you weren't a computer expert (especially with low
> level details), you didn't have a snowball's chance. I installed it
> (if you can call what had to be done as an "installation") on a
> 386SX-25 with 4MBs of RAM. ...oh what fun THAT was. :-)

Yup. I got mine running on a 4M 386DX40, might have been 2M at first. My
First PC, purchased specifically to run 386BSD. Subscribed to Dr. Dobb's
Journal specifically for the Jolitz series. Dropped the subscription when
the series didn't continue.

Downloaded and wrote (most of) the floppies with a Macintosh. Did you know
rawrite runs under SoftPC? Used an unsupported UltraStor 14F SCSI card.
Fortunately the 14F was able to imitate wd/IDE. Tried for a long time to
get it to run two "IDE" interfaces but concluded it didn't like the idea of
one drive on each interface. Even bought an FPU simply to get 386BSD to
run. Never had 386BSD on a network.

Recently dug that machine out of the closet, put 2.1.5 on it, and placed it
in the hands of a kid who was in danger of thinking the whole world was
Microsoft. Apparently he's having a blast with about 3 machines SL/IP or
PPP'ed together, each with a different OS. At least one on amateur radio,
the others routing to that one. Lately he has been buying $5 ethernet cards
to upgrade his network. And finally he's quit calling me 3 times/night,
"How do you do ... in FreeBSD?" (no, his parents won't let him on the
internet).

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net