Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 95 17:14:15 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> > ftp://csvax.cs.caltech.edu/pub/stripe.tar
> >
> > which might be somewhat helpful - a rather dated (4.2?) attempt at
> > a simplistic striping device driver.
>
> Any one want to buy my Quantum Empire 2100 for $800, it's less than 120 days
> old, as I am now going to sell it off and go buy 4 very fast 500MB
> drive and make a stripe driver out of this code :-).

This might be going overboard.  Is there any reason you can't divide it
up into four logical drives and stripe it that way?  Save you eating
some $ on your disk drives (the better to spend on coffee, I suppose).

As long as you are careful about your placement of your synchronization
primitives, it shouldn't be an issue that you're really only using one
drive.

How low level is the code?  I haven't had a chance to look at it yet
myself... if it's SCSI command level, then forget I said anything and
go for the multiple drives; otherwise, it'd be nice if it were general
enough to use on anything for which a device could be obtained (ESDI
or MFM layered above the media correction, etc.).  Pretending to have
multiple drives on a single drive would be "good practice" for getting
the code to be as general as possible...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.