Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:40:32 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>, jason <kib@mediaone.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
Subject:   Re: What is it good for? (was "Helping Victims of Terror")

> In that case the FBI are wrong. It may be pronounced Usama, but Osama is a
> far more common name in Saudi. DYOR. You have the Internet at your
> disposal and I'm sure you're able to find out how his name is spelt
> without having to resort to relying on the FBI. :-)

All other points aside, I wouldn't get too caught up in an argument about
the spelling of his name.

It's difficult to convert Arabic names into English. The Taliban for
instance is spelled Teleban by the Times. The problem is that an English
approximation is made to how it sounds in Arabic and that's not always
agreed upon. There is not a standard system for converting Arabic words
into English spellings as far as I know.

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd
http://www.freebsd-services.com