Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:03:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Apache

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> > Right now we're using the actuall domain names in the virtual server
> > directives.  Should we use the IP address instead?  Would that ease the
> > workload?
>
> You are wise to use IP addresses.  If you are using a 1.2 beta, you would
> also be wise to include a 'ServerName www.example.com' for each virtual
> host.  1.1 will look it up on startup, but if it fails it will still keep
> going.  Because of the HTTP/1.1 support in 1.2, if either the forward or
> reverse lookups fail and you don't have the IP in the virtualhost
> definition and a servername for that host Apache will die.

It is a double-edged sword. Using IP addresses means that if you ever
renumber you have to go through and change every VirtualHost. I guess a
perl script could kinda automate that, but my rule of thumb is no IP
addresses in any config file they don't have to be in.

On a more general note...
Renumbering is a fact of life. All of us should be keeping that in mind
when we are designing our networks. See:
http://www.isi.edu/div7/pier/
for more info.

pbd