Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 95 11:30:40 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which CTM# == 2.0.5R?

> I think I will just quite sending stuff to the lists all togeather,
> it seems that people are speed reading things and skipping messages
> all the time as I get so many duplicate questions that have been
> answered in either -current or on the commit list a week before
> all these redundant questions come in.  Mine as well just do things,
> wait for some one to ask then post my message about what it is that
> I did as it seems the recall span for many of our readers is too
> short.

I have noticed absurd propagation delays that weren't there before
the lists were sorted, the delays being only on some lists.

There is an 8 hour discrepancy betwwen hackers and questions in some
cases, whereas before at least I knew that the messages had come in
from each list were equally delayed.

Possibly what is happening is that what you are seeing is the result
of having crossposted the message between hackers and current, so
you in effect are seeing the results of two mailings.

If instead of not posting, you delayed all responses by 8 hours, then
you can be sure all questions/comments for a particular topic have
had a chance to make it to the detination.

Maybe 32 hours would be a better 8hr + timezone overlap so as to
ensure that the qestion and response weren't in the same window.

Honestly, I was getting "OK" response times before, "Good" response
times after the list sort, and now I get a mix of "Great", "Good",
"OK", "Bad", and "Absolutely Abysmal" since the list split.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.