Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:32:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>, Daniel Brownstone <jkirk@tigger.100acre.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSL natd rules....

freebsd 3.4 (as much as i remember) has both IPFW and IPFilter as
firewalling options.

you have to reconfigure the kernel (reference LINT for the various options
on both) to use them.

identd is pointless, a useless program (this is my opinion, mind you) that
should have died years ago. here's why: it can be lied to, or be used to
lie from. you're relying on a machine the authenticate itself, and then
expecting it to tell the truth. basically, in the modern internet, it's
not a wise thing to do..

-- jan

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Chip Wiegand wrote:

> I also am interested in this, I am currently running a Mandrake Linux
> 6.0 box running ipchains for nat and firewall. I am just learning
> FreeBSD, only about 3 weeks old in BSD now, and have seen many a post
> regarding BSD being better at this than Linux. I identd is not the way
> to go, what is the alternative? And I know IPFW is built into BSD, is
> IPFilter also? I am currently on my linux box because I screwed up my
> bsd box and that is being dealt with in other posts. Oh, well, the
> joys of learning.  :-) Chip Wiegand

  email: jan[at]caustic.org   web: http://www.caustic.org/~jan
   "knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil."