Date:      	Sat, 19 Oct 1996 08:59:12 +1000
From:      Andrew Tridgell <tridge@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
To:        julian@whistle.com
Cc:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fix for symlinks in /tmp (fwd) FYI

> I wonder if anyone can comment on this...
> My initial reaction is that it's breaking the expected behaviour
> or the system to do this....

yep, but we need to think of cases where "normal" use of symlinks will
break. Can you think of any?

> If I see a symlink I expect it to be followed..

yes, and if you created the symlink, or if the symlink is not in a
directory with the t bit set (such as /tmp) then it will be.

It just stops other people saying "if I create a symlink in /tmp then
I expect that other guy to follow it (he he he)".

I think that the change actually fits in well with the existing t bit
behaviour. The t bit already modifies how permissions work in /tmp,
I'm just extending this slightly because following a link in a world
writeable directory is just as dangerous as deleting a file.

> I just don't like it?

Have another coffee then think of a better reason :-)

It may be that my fix breaks something important. I just haven't
thought of what that is yet ....

Cheers, Andrew