Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:13:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        matra <matra@diemme.it>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie...

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, matra wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, matra wrote:
> >
> > > Under Linux i have only to patch the kernel and recompile! Why have i to
> > > install and recompile everyting ?!..
> >
> > [soapbox on]
> > Because we do not do things the way Linux does.  FreeBSD is composed of
> > highly organized RELEASES.  One kernel version, one set of binaries, one
> > published install set. Not ten.  When you get the FreeBSD CDROM, you can
> > say, "This IS FreeBSD," not, "This is xyz's mishmash of FreeBSD."
>
> So have i to buy EVERY Walnut Creek CD to have a current and not obsolete
> FreeBSD box ?!

Of course not.  Every release is available by ftp even before it's
released on CD.

> My linux box has a 197mb /usr/src directory . Every time a new
> program/kernel etc/etc was announced ,i just ftp it . Why have i to wait
> WC's cds to have the newest system ?

You don't.  See above.

> > Hope this helps you understand our way of doing things. :-)
>
> Yes , i understand . IMHO FreeBSD is too "Walnut Creek CD" oriented .
> I ran Linux for over 2 years buying only the first Slackware and upgrading
> my system from the net , every time i wanted .

As you can do with FreeBSD.

> I hope that isn't a commercial alliance ...

Sometime you should look at the FreeBSD web page and see what WC has done
for FreeBSD.

> So i have to buy every WC's dists to stay "tuned" on FreeBSD!It is not a
> money affair for me ;The fact is that i HATE "mirrors" of other systems
> on my computer .I want to create my OWN dist.

FreeBSD comes with source . . . hack away.  If you mean your own dist
made out of pieces of others', well, that's not possible because there's
only one distribution of FreeBSD.

If you want Linux, use Linux instead of flaming FBSD for not being Linux.

> If u are right , i cannot do it .
>

> > Doug White                              | University of Oregon
> > Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
> > http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

 Ben

The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation
Board of Queensland, Australia.