Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:24:34 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't mount 4.1 CDROM's

Vivek Khera wrote:

> KS> The only way I can get the CD out of the cdrom drive has been to reboot.
>
> If you type "eject -f acd0" you can manually eject the disk, but it
> still is unable to finish the mount or umount operations, and your
> mount point will look like an executable file rather than a directory,
> and have a date in 1969.

I saw that /cdrom had changed to cdrom* when I ran my ll alias. The
eject will get me around rebooting the computer. That was the most
irritating part. I couldn't eject and the device was permanently busy
at that point. I was having problems building bluefish port and had to
ftp the package from my Win 2000 Server. That was the only non-FreeBSD
system that could read the CDROM.

> Several other people have reported this in reply to my query over the
> last few days on this list.  No fix has been forthcoming.
>
> My workaround is to run the 4.1-R kernel.GENERIC that was provided
> when I did my 4.1-R installation.

I rebuilt my kernel.GENERIC last night on my server. That didn't help
and that is when I added my message to the queue. I had a suggestion
from Sean to use cvsweb to back out the change to atapi-cd.[ch].

Thanks,

Kent

> --

Kent Stewart