Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 05:59:57 -0700
From:      "Jesse Monroy, Jr." <jessem@zaphod.livecam.com>
To:        jim@blues.ghis.net, "Jesus Monroy, Jr." <thepinkpages@email.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@freebsdmall.com
Subject:   Re: Something doesn't jive

At 10:31 PM 5/10/99 +1000, Jim Mock wrote:
>On Sun, 09 May 1999 at 20:01:08 +0000, Jesus Monroy, Jr. wrote:
>> Please understand I'm not bitching, I'm just trying to understand
>> what is going on.  If this issued has been raised before, please
>> point me to an appropriate thread of archive; I'll be happy to read.
>>
>> Anyway, recent threads have suggested that FreeBSD is not a
>> "desktop" or "single-user". The suggestions have been that FreeBSD
>> is better suited for high-performance workstations,
>> computation-slaves and servers.
>>
>> However, and here is my question:
>>
>> How come most of the FAQs are about single-user issues?
>>
>> The nearest I can tell most of the "single-user" questions answered
>> are about development. That is, it seems people are using FreeBSD as
>> the primary development platform.  At the same time, dual-boot
>> issues point in other directions.
>>
>> Perhaps, one of the Zines could run a poll for us some we can see
>> what is up?
>
>I'm not against putting something like this in the FreeBSD 'zine,
>however, I doubt it'll make it into the upcoming issue.  Perhaps the
>July issue.  I've been working on a poll script that I planned on
>using for various stuff, so that won't be a problem.
>
>However.. I've noticed alot of people don't bother to vote (if that's
>what you'd call it) so I doubt the results would be very accurate.
>Not to mention the number of visitors compared to the actual amount of
>users.  Personally I don't think the poll will produce any usable
>results.  Comments?

    Yes, of course. First, I know I can get people to vote, but
    at the same time it's part manipulation on my part; well
    our part.  I'll be screaming bloody murder, so to speak,
    but don't let that influence you too much. Don't defend me
    too much, but at the same time don't start an email
    campaign to my ISP. :-)
    Please remember this, as I won't repeat it again.

    Next the questions:

    How do you use your FreeBSD?
    Server (web,db,ftp,wais,etc.)
    Personal-Dedicated
    Personal-Win95-shared
    Personal-Linux-shared
    Personal-many-shared
    Add_your_favorite_here

    Do you want more FAQs about?
    How-to
    Guides
    Hackers-Notes
    Hand-books
    Add_your_favorite_here

    And, of course, give a few days heads up
    when the polls are ready.

    I hope this is clear? Any questions?