Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 22:05:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop picks?

Wilko Bulte wrote...

> > As such, I think it might would be a good idea to compile a list of
> > successful laptop installations.  Thoughts?  Judging from the mailing
> > list, keyboards, video (for X) and power management seem to be the
> > biggest issues.  Am I wrong?
>
> I have a Digital HiNote CT475 (owned by DEC, but mine to (ab)use) that
> succesfully installed 205R for me. Even X runs, but with 8Mb and
> 640x480 this is no joy to use. keyboard and PS/2 mouse compatible
> trackball work OK.

I have a Toshiba 415CS (same as the 410CS).  2.1 installs without trouble,
including X.  Rebuilding the kernel with psm0 got the track-point mouse working.
The only thing other thing required was to switch the disk controller to
'Standard IDE'.  The LCD panel is 800x600x256 (slightly less painful!).  I
have only 8Mb of memory, but another 8 are coming.

I have also succeeded in getting 2.0.5 running on a Toshiba 1910CS.

[I have no connection with Toshiba, except as a customer]
John