Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:17:39 -0500
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: route pointing to a gateway that's not on net

>  Date:  Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:29:44 +0100
>  To:  "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
>  From:  Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
>  Subject:  Re: route pointing to a gateway that's not on net
>
>  On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:07:26PM -0500, J. W. Ballantine wrote:
>  > Quite frankly, blunt is not a problem, one needs to call them as one sees
>  > them.  However,  responding to a question with a condesending, superior
>  > attitude(IMHO), while ignoring the question is.  As for "just try what
>  > people tell you", if it doesn't appear resolve the larger problem, but jus
>  > the example, than it isn't the correct resolution to the issue and trying
>  > to get clarification shouldn't be scorned, after all there is always someo
ne
>  > out there who knows more.
>
>  I did answer your question. You should either add host routes or turn
>  on proxy arp at the gateway. In stead of telling us if that worked
>  out you come with different questions.
>
>  Have you actually tried the 3 different possibilities mentioned in
>  my mail with message-id 20030314102431.GA97899@gvr.gvr.org ?
>
>  -Guido

Of the 3 different possibilities mentioned:

I did try route add -net without -iface, and the result was
no route to host.

I didn't try to arp to  207.172.3.* hosts because that sounded like
a fix for only one small network and I asked for clarification.

The other single host routes for each host again doesn't resolve the
larger issue of basic network access.