Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 02:05:42 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Joe.Warner@smed.com" <Joe.Warner@smed.com>
Subject:   Re: Manager's response re: FreeBSD

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:45:04 -0600, Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:

>Here's a response I got from one of my managers re: FreeBSD.  Any comments
>or replys would be welcome.  Thanks.

The points raised by your boss are very good and very real.
I don't know your environment and don't know what would work for
you, but I am going to share what is going on where I work.

I just started a week ago a job at a place where I used to work.
Since I left they are now using Unix more than when I had left.
Unfortunately they don't have much Unix knowledge inhouse.
From talking to the network manager I gathered that he was
worried about this lack of knowledge.

On the other hand I have the head of HR which mentioned that she
wanted an intranet.

Having this info I decided to try to use this to my advantage. I
talked to the network admin and asked him "what was his feeling
about Unix". He flat out told me that he was not happy with NT
and that "previous management" had replaced some Netware and Mac
boxes with NT and things were worse. He again repeated his
concern about in-house knowledge... I was waiting for that. I
told him that I wanted to setup an Intranet to use it for
"training" and that eventually we could use it "officially" for
 putting information. At the mean time I have been talking to
the tech guys (programmers and network people) and gather their
support and interest. Mentioned to the HR admin that we were
"thinking" on starting to do some initial work on the Intranet.

Basically I have been researching the interest and try to
present FreeBSD as a solution to particular business needs,
training and an Intranet.

I asked the Network admin if he could give me any old box to
install FreeBSD. His answer was that there is an old fileserver
that he could give me as long as he cleared  with our boss.  I
don't know specs, but I am sure that that computer is much
better than what I would have settled for. :-)

Francisco