Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:04:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        rashid@rk.ios.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some SERIOUS NFS usage - advice needed

> Rashid  Karimov stands accused of saying:
> >
> > 	We have this idea here of putting online multiple
> > 	mail servers working off single NFS mounted partition.
> > 	It's about 9Gb+ of /var/mail shared between 3-4 hosts
> > 	( we'll probably do round-robin DNS for them or will
> > 	just have MX with same priorities to redistribute
> > 	the load evenly).
>
> Is your current mailserver overloaded?  Have you been able to identify
> the bottleneck(s)?  Is it really compute power that's the limitation?
> I'm kinda skeptical here, unless you are receiving _lots_ of mail.
> Going for a multinode arrangement will increase your compute power and
> (possibly) your network bandwidth, but it won't help the setup/knockdown
> time for connections and it will decrease your disk bandwidth.
>
> > 	So the Big Question is: will it WORK ???
>
> Er.  You might have to fiddle sendmail to lock mailboxes in an alternative
> fashion.
>
> > 	Will it be fast enough ( the thing should serve ~20.000 - 50.000
> >  	active e-mail accounts), will there be problems with locking
> > 	mail-boxes for delivery and reading , what's gonna happen
> > 	to the network , it there a sense in using 100Mb Ethernet,
> > 	how stable is NFS code ?
>
> NFS locking isn't yet supported.  Your network will potentially be
> plastered with lots of NFS traffic in addition to the mail.
>
> What counts as 'active'?  If we assume that 5 mails a day is 'average',
> at 50 000 users that's about three a second.  I'd say that's well within
> the capacity of a medium-sized mailserver (but I'd want to test it to be
> sure 8)
>
> If you get this thing running, make sure you put something up on the Web
> about it; a mailserver that size must be a pretty rare beast.

Personally, I am somewhat skeptical that there isn't a better way to do
this.  NFS is traditionally just about the worst way to do mail, IMHO.
However, a more detailed explanation of the environment and desired result
would be needed.

> > 	If the thing will work, may be we will do the same with news
> > 	system.
>
> For news, you want one machine hosting the news, and a number of NFS
> clients running readers only.  Don't try to run your news databases
> across NFS, it's just too slow.

NFS clients running readers?  I disagree..!  You are not lowering the I/O
demands on the server disks at all.  Run slaves  :-)

> > 	Does FreeBD support any of them RAID arrays ? Or the only way is
> > 	to get one in H/W implementation ?
>
> The ccd driver may well be up to running news - Joe Greco?

ccd works fine, I have not tested more than two disks striped, more than one
ccd device, or a partition > 8GB, but I do have 2-drive 4GB and 8GB
partitions running on news.sol.net and daily-planet.execpc.com, very
reliable.  news.sol.net has actually STOPPED crashing because it's no longer
running out of disk space every few days  :-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968