Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:31:31 +0100
From:      Martin Hudec <corwin@aeternal.net>
To:        Hamed Abangar <h_abangar@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote Administration Problem

--kfjH4zxOES6UT95V

Hi Hamed,

Why are you using telnet for administration, when there is SSH available? :)

In default configuration SSH is not allowing to log in as root@.

What you want to enable is:

PermitRootLogin yes

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

But is it difficult for you to log in there as normal user and then switch
by su to root? su is checking in, who is in group wheel, and if you are
in wheel group, then you are allowed to su to root, else you are blocked to
su to root.

You wouldn't have to go to server room, if you would create also another
ordinary user account to which you will be loggin in when using ssh.

	cheers,
	Martin

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:43:26AM -0800, Hamed Abangar (h_abangar@yahoo.co=
m) wrote:
> Dear members
> =20
> I'm new to this list and also  I'm new to FreeBSD environment .I'm networ=
k administrator=20
> in an isp.Recently i have changed our Internet servers from Linux to free=
bsd ( cache=20
> servers , dns servers , firewall , mail servers) . Every things works wel=
l , but i have=20
> a problem.I can't control my servers remotely.I have activated SSH and te=
lnet but i=20
> can't login to my server with root account from my home or every other wh=
ere.=20
> Each time i want to check my servers , i must go to my server's room and =
this is not good=20
> for a network administrator , i didn't have this problem with Linux.
> =20
> Any one can help me?
> =20
> thanks=20