Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 17:19:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        matra@diemme.it (matra)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie...

> So have i to buy EVERY Walnut Creek CD to have a current and not obsolete
> FreeBSD box ?!

Of course NOT.

> My linux box has a 197mb /usr/src directory . Every time a new
> program/kernel etc/etc was announced ,i just ftp it . Why have i to wait
> WC's cds to have the newest system ?

My FreeBSD box has a /home/ncvs/src directory.  Every day I automatically
update my cvs tree and effectively have every version of every piece
of FreeBSD code (since 2.0) on my system at all times (for reference or
whatever.) I don't loose my previous version of a piece of code by upgrading
my local repository.  (You can do that too.)  FreeBSD's cvs tree has
version control, and that version controlled tree includes the utilities
and not just the kernel.

You certainly don't have to wait for a CD.

> Yes , i understand . IMHO FreeBSD is too "Walnut Creek CD" oriented .
> I ran Linux for over 2 years buying only the first Slackware and upgrading
> my system from the net , every time i wanted .

FreeBSD is distributed by other vendors also.

> So i have to buy every WC's dists to stay "tuned" on FreeBSD!

Not true, in fact, the CD's are a fairly slow way of staying
tuned.  CD's are releases for people who are not interested in
the 'bleeding edge.'

>It is not a
> money affair for me ;The fact is that i HATE "mirrors" of other systems
> on my computer .I want to create my OWN dist.

FreeBSD is great for that.  (And the runtimes don't have evil redistribution
encumberances either.)

John