Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 10:59:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        khetan@iafrica.com (Khetan Gajjar)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: PPP on demand.

Khetan Gajjar wrote...
> Hi.
>
> I have a static IP address (196.7.74.174) and am dialling into my ISP.
> The problem is that when I specify ppp -auto chain it starts dialling
> for reasons I do not understand (i.e. I do nothing, and it starts dialling).

As soon as ppp comes up it will react to any packet you send to the
outside world.  This may be something you did deliberately ('ping chain')
or implicitly.  The normal reason for this behaviour is name resolution.
A program needs an IP address and you are set up so that name resolution
is done at your ISP - so the name resolution request goes to the outside
world, causing ppp to dial.

To 'fix' this edit '/etc/host.conf' to make it check the 'hosts' file
before using name resolution.

> ---
> Khetan Gajjar
> Visit at http://www.iafrica.com/~khetan/
> Pipex-Internet Africa Operations
> help@iafrica.com or  0800-030-002

Regards,

John
--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key