Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 19:18:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      Simon Coggins <simon@oz.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dynamic libs on elf.

Hi,

Well I finally got my system changed from aout to elf and now I notice that
dynamic libs are handled totaly differently on ELF and have broken all of my
dynamic lib'ed programs. Here's what it's doing differently now and
hopefully someone can tell me how to fix it.

When loading a dynamic lib with RTLD_NOW, it always fails if the module
calls a function that is in the main progran that is loading the module. Now
this use to work on aout but now it won't work anymore.

There is some example code at the end of this message which is the code I'm
using.

[simon@chaotic]:/tmp/p> gcc -o dynamic dynamic.c
[simon@chaotic]:/tmp/p> gcc -c -DMOD dynamic.c
[simon@chaotic]:/tmp/p> ld -Bshareable dynamic.o -o dynamic.so
[simon@chaotic]:/tmp/p> ./dynamic
dlopen(): ./dynamic.so: Undefined symbol "print_data"

So when loading the module it couldn't find the function print_data which is
in the main program.

HELP! :)

Regards
Simon