Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:33:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpd vs apsfilter EXTREME weirdness, HELP !

Hi there,
I am running FreeBSD-3.4-STABLE
I installed apsfilter from ports.
Using HP-deskjet-690C

everything print well, until between one job and
another, weirdness start,

first I get a message telling me :
lp filter "f" terminated, (termsig=100)
lp job could not be printed <print job number>.

the nice thing is the job is already printer,
without trouble.
then, Sporadically, (i.e. not constantly) the
printer stops before the next job, and the form
feed starts blinking, no problem in the paper
tray or paper.

next, I try to put it off, it refuses, so I
shutdown the power button, and restarts the
printer.
and then it goes off, printing scrambled things,
and wastes enormous amounts of paper, each with
some ambigious incoherent letters.

I have to ;
power off the printer to save my coronaries.
lpc stop lp
rm lock (in the printer spool directory)
ps -aux | grep lpd
kill lpd by id or killall lpd
restart lpd
lpc restart lp
and the circle goes on again,
prints one, two, or few jobs, and again
starts this brain storming experience.
any clue whats wrong with that.
my setup is pretty much standard, and config
files are defaults.
HEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP.
TIA

=====