Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:16:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: su gets SIGHUP randomly on startup with latest current

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     This is really odd.  Is anyone else getting this?  I wasn't getting this
>     with a current of just a few days ago, now one in ten or so 'su' commands
>     does something really odd.

Are there QLogic controllers in the machine?  (Is the isp driver active?)

Try turning off gdb if it is compiled into the kernel.

I've been having random signal-induction problems with old QLogic 1041
adapters since about 4.0 or so.  It was the changes to have more than 32
signals that seemed to start the problem.  I get random SIGTERM,
SIGPROFILE and other signals, usually 'profiling timer expired' if the
system is lucky enough to actually boot all the way.  Sometimes it is an
fsck or other somewhat lengthy startup process that is the first to die.

I finally found that removing gdb from the kernel made the problem
dissapear, or at least less severe, but I also now have to statically
compile in the ispfw device to load firmware early in the boot, otherwise
it still often dies, even with no gdb, before loading the firmware, but
that may be related more to the incredibly old firmware on the controllers.

The problem seems significantly more severe on SMP-hardwared boxen.

Let me know if you need more info, as I'd be glad to help.
I have more than 10 1041 HBAs.

Later......						<Doug>