Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:46:11 +0300
From:      "Pavel Alexey" <palexey@victoriabank.md>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrade lots of machines

Hi!
I have few machines with RELEASE-4 and want to upgrade it to STABLE-4. Advisable
method with mount /usr/src and /usr/obj from upgraded "master" I can't use. I
can't do "buildworld" on it (see my previous letter) and I "make world", thus
I'm not sure "installworld" will work. Moreover I must upgrade computers in DMZ
(no NFS) and fast (can't disassemble and mount disk from "master").
I do next steps:
1. "make world" in sigle mode on one (scratch) computer.
2. make new /etc and /dev and "found" changes.
3. "make -DNOCLEAN -DETDIR=/MYTMP world"
4. copy new /modules to /MYTMP
5. tar and gzip all in MYTMP into newsys.tgz (about 40 mb)
6. "make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL"
7. Save newsys.tgz and new kernel.
now I try
8. reinstall on this scratch computer RELEASE-4
9. copy sh tar gzip to /tmp
10. go in single-user mode.
11. cd /; exec /tmp/sh; /tmp/tar xvfz /tmp/newsys.tgz . All pass almost without
error (tar can't create some simbolic links, because it already exist:-). Only
/sbin/init was not overrided (in use).
12. install new kernel into /
13:-). reboot

All seems to be fine. BUT: I do all this for a scratch computer and /sbin/init
was not overrided.

Can somebody tell me, what can occur wrong, if I try to do this for my "real"
servers?

With best wishes, Pavel Alexey