Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:52:06 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC:  5.3 Migration Guide

--tNQTSEo8WG/FKZ8E

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 04:27:15PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> Howdy--
>=20
> I've volunteered to rework the 5.X Early Adopters Guide into a Migration
> Guide.  The focus of this document is less about discouraging unwary
> users and more about what kinds of changes users might encounter when
> they move from 4.X to 5.X.
>=20
> I'd like to solicit a pre-commit review on the document at:
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/pub/article.html
>=20
> A PDF rendering, as well as SGML source, also live in the same
> directory.
>=20
> The area I'm the most shaky on is the source upgrade procedure, which is
> basically an annotated version of the procedure in src/UPDATING.  I
> haven't done this procedure in a *long* time, and I'm kind of short on
> scratch systems (=3D> none) at the moment for testing the procedure.  In
> retrospect, I didn't actually plan on including this section, and I
> might have been less eager to take on this task if I'd know it was
> coming.  :-)
>=20

In the source upgrade section, item 9 (preseedrandom) should no longer
be necessicary.  It's harmless, and possiably slightly helpful, but not
necessicary since markm has the rng act seeded by default.

I'd personally suggest wording the "don't do a source update" bit more
strongly, though I'm not sure how.  Maybe a suggestion to see this as an
opportunity to set up that backup infrastructure you've been meaning to
install for the last decade. :-)

-- Brooks

--=20

--tNQTSEo8WG/FKZ8E