Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 21:40:05 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop picks?

John Brann writes:
> Wilko Bulte wrote...
> >
> > > As such, I think it might would be a good idea to compile a list of
> > > successful laptop installations.  Thoughts?  Judging from the mailing
> > > list, keyboards, video (for X) and power management seem to be the
> > > biggest issues.  Am I wrong?
> >
> > I have a Digital HiNote CT475 (owned by DEC, but mine to (ab)use) that
> > succesfully installed 205R for me. Even X runs, but with 8Mb and
> > 640x480 this is no joy to use. keyboard and PS/2 mouse compatible
> > trackball work OK.
>
> I have a Toshiba 415CS (same as the 410CS).  2.1 installs without trouble,
> including X.  Rebuilding the kernel with psm0 got the track-point mouse working.
> The only thing other thing required was to switch the disk controller to
> 'Standard IDE'.  The LCD panel is 800x600x256 (slightly less painful!).  I
> have only 8Mb of memory, but another 8 are coming.
>
> I have also succeeded in getting 2.0.5 running on a Toshiba 1910CS.

I've got FreeBSD running on 3 different laptops.  The IBM 750C, 755CX,
and a NEC Versa P/75.  Of all the machine I find the NEC the nicest and
works with FreeBSD the best.

It comes with 8MB standard, an 800x600 active-matrix screen, a
sound-blaster clone, and it simply runs very well.

The IBM's are very nice too, a bit more rugged, but tend to be a little
bit non-standard.  Apparently IBM is coming out with more standard
laptops now, notably the IBM 365.  I've also heard about some new
versions in the works which are going to be using the PCI bus.

For compatability I'm very impressed with the NEC.  For ruggedness, you
can't beat a ThinkPad if you don't mind having to do a little extra work
to get FreeBSD working on it.

Nate