Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2022 10:23:39 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Taceant Omnes <taceant@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: entering geli passphrase only once at FreeBSD boot

On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 10:00:51 +0000
Taceant Omnes <taceant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to enter the passphrase only once in FreeBSD that does
> not involve storing it in a file?

	My solution was to log in after boot and run a script - less than
elegant but possible to do remotely if I was away during a power outage
(happened once). I've since given up on using encrypted drives, after a
scare when one drive became inaccessible after an outage due to geli errors.

	Another option would be to run something in rc.local that disables
getty on the console and uses /dev/ttyv0 directly which forces it to be
done by someone with physical access. A very flashy (pun intended) option
would be to put the key on a USB stick and do some devd magic to spot it
and do the necessary before talking out of the speaker.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>