Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 02:00:41 -0800
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ethereal.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

I agree. A list like this would go a long way in getting FreeBSD more
widely accepted. While -chat may seem appropriate, I think Mike's
point against it is valid, that people who are looking for concrete
answers to questions about applications or configurations that are
not relevant to -questions should not be reduced to putting them
in a list that has a high post rate. A dedicated list would be excellent
as people who do use these real-world applications and problems would
be able to communicate without being flooded by tons of messages that
provide no useful FreeBSD knowledge. Also, professionals who will want
to read these lists at their places of work may be more hesitant
to join a list that is 75% fluff and 25% useful information.

I think -chat is a good bonding tool for the people in the community.
I think a list like -applications or -production would be very important
as a bonding tool in the business community, where it is much more
important to get information in a quick and fluff-free way. It is a
question of how we want to be seen.  Big companies don't want, as
Mike points out, a conversation about toon ferrets. While it is an
interesting conversation for people, for someone trying to get a job
done it is less than useful, and is in fact a hinderence, since if
someone reviews their work practices and sees them receiving a ton of
messages having nothing to do with their job, it will reflect badly on
them, and by associtation, free software as a whole.

Please consider this list seriously. I know I, for one, would be very
happy to have a place where I could read what people are really doing
and the problems they solve on this fantastic OS.

Thank you,

Jamie