Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2011 21:40:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   v4l + webcamd + Logitech C210 + Skype (FreeBSD 8-stable)

Hi,

I'm trying to get Skype working with video support on my
8-stable machine at home.  I've got a shiny new Logitech
C210 webcam.  This webcam works perfectly fine on my wife's
Windows machine, FWIW.

On my FreeBSD box I've installed webcamd and all of its
dependencies, as per HPS' documentation.  Basically the
webcam seems to work:  I get a clear picture in pwcview(1).
However, Skype doesn't seem to recognize the video device
(I have installed skype-2.0.0.72,1 from ports).

The Logitech C210 is a UVC webcam (USB video class), and
webcamd includes a uvc driver, but it says that it is V4L2
only.  On the other hand, the Linuxulator's video device
translation layer does not support V4L2, as far as I know.
Is that the reason why Skype cannot see my webcam?  If so,
what's the recommended way to solve the problem?  All of
the webcams currently available for purchase seem to be
UVC ones, so I'm probably stuck with Windows.  :-(

There's a second issue, but I think it's not related to
emulation:  The microphone doesn't seem to be supported.
I haven't found anything related to audio in the webcamd
documentation, so I guess it doesn't support microphones
at all.  I don't get any separate audio decvice listed
in the output of usbconfig(8).  Do I have to purchase a
separate microphone, even though the C210 webcam already
has a built-in one?

Best regards
   Oliver

"anyone new to programming should be kept as far from C++ as
possible;  actually showing the stuff should be considered a
criminal offence" -- Jacek Generowicz