Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:14:47 +1030
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Warren <shinjii@virusinfo.rdksupportinc.com>
Subject:   Re: Tab to Auto-Complete + ....

--nextPart1273607.qGVkGauVjH

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:00, Warren wrote:
> What is need for me to add/do in order for the pressing of Tab to
> autcomplete a name to work?  It works fine in root .. also when i press t=
he
> up or down arrow keys it dosent bring up the previous command issued ...
>
> im using FreeBSD5.3-STABLE

What shell are you using? It sounds like you might be using /bin/sh, the=20
Bourne shell, which doesn't support those functions, but is the default for=
=20
non-root accounts.
The root account by default uses /bin/csh (actually the tcsh) which does wh=
at=20
you want. So all you need to do is change the chell of your user.
The easiest way is to login as your user & type chsh
On the line than starts with Shell:, change /bin/sh to /bin/csh
Save the changes and then logout & login again & you should have command li=
ne=20
completion & job history.
To make auto-completion better, edit the file .cshrc in your home directory=
=20
and add the line
autolist =3D ambigous
after the set prompt =3D  line.

Alternatively, you could install & use another shell like bash or ksh...

Cheers,
=2D-=20
Ian

GPG Key: http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/imoore/imoore.asc