Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:33:21 -0400
From:      "William D. Freeman" <wdf@picusnet.com>
To:        Loic Mahe' <mahe@twam.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and sendmail

You probably have PPP configured for Dial on Demand or somthing and it
always wants to feel usful.  I have sendmail setup to use my ISP as a
smart host, but i don't have that problem.  Mostly because i don't feel
the need to make my modem dial for me everytime i want to send a mail (i
don' send mail very often.  it's usualy just a reply to somthing else).

Loic Mahe' wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use sendmail with my dialup connection. I looked at the
> FAQ (http://www.fr.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#ISPMAIL)
> and generated my sendmail.cf file.
> Sending mail works, but each time I launch sendmail (at boot time,
> manually (like sendmail -bt) or with mailq), the modem opens the
> connection to my ISP (even if the mail queue is empty). This problem
> seems to occur only on FreeBSD (I asked my question in a french
> mail-related newsgroup and Linux users told me that they have no such
> problem).
> I used tcpdump and found that 2 DNS queries are sent (and
> therefore lauch the modem since resolv.conf lists my ISP's DNS).
> Normally, sendmail uses a ServiceSwitch file to use /etc/hosts instead
> of bind, but is it used on FreeBSD ?
>
> It is not normal that the modem connects if there is no mail to send.
>
> Any help is welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Loic/Toulouse, France
>
> PS : I'm on FreeBSD 3.1 with sendmail 8.9.2

 William D. Freeman [wdf@picusnet.com]
http://members.xoom.com/EvilGNU
Version: 3.12
GU d? s+:++ a--- C++ UB+++ P+ L- E W++ N- o-- K---- w---