Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 20:23:06 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tricky handbook link

That's why you need to look for labels in the text (literally, <label>).
In this case, you're interested in:

        http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/eresources:charters.html

You never want to refer to any URL containing a handbook<nnn>.html or
FAQ<nnn>.html since, as you've already correctly deduced, those
numbers move around each and every time the web pages are rebuilt and
quick age out and die.

The latest docbook DTD also makes implicit labels for section headings
and such now, so you get "free" labels without having to declare all
of them explicitly.

- Jordan