Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:43:12 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Karolis Tamutis <karolis.t@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drivers in kernel of user space?

--sfyO1m2EN8ZOtJL6

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 02:31:54AM +0400, Karolis Tamutis wrote:
> Should drivers for an usb device (or a series of devices) be developed
> in kernel space or in user space, now that we have such cross platform
> ported libraries as libusb? What's your opinion.

It depends. :)  If your device maps to one of the standard kernel
services like network controllers, disk or tape based storage, tty
device, etc, you mostly likely want to implement in kernel unless there
is an appropriate interface to provide the kernel interface from
userland and performance isn't critical (for instance, if_tap provides
an ethernet like device with a userland process being responsible for
actually sending the packets.)  For stuff that doesn't fit into this
category a userland solution may well be better since you get many
platforms for free.

-- Brooks

--=20

--sfyO1m2EN8ZOtJL6