Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 18:00:01 +0900
From:      daichi <daichi@jp.freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internationlization examples

Hi Jonathan

> Thanks for this. I'd worked out that I needed to add some fonts and/or
> make changes to the font.properties file, but I couldn't find the
> default: wadalab-mincho-medium-r-normal font in the ports system (I'd
> be happy if someone enlightened me).

You can install Watanabe/Wadalab truetype font from
/usr/ports/japanese/truetypefonts/.
Watanabe/Wadalab font is former default free Japanese
scalable font. And now, Yasuyuki Furukawa-san is tackling
creation of a new Japanese free scalable font; Kochi-font
(/usr/ports/japanese/kochi-ttfonts/,
 http://www.on.cs.keio.ac.jp/~yasu/jp_fonts.html).

Kochi font is developed based on the Watanabe/Wadalab font.
And two or more bitmap fonts are built in. Therefore, Kochi
font is finely displayed also with a small font. And the
scalable font itself is improved.

Already, Japanese-related ports is improved so that Kochi
font may be used. Probably, if nothing happens especially,
Kochi font will become a standard Japanese free scalable
font on FreeBSD.

If you use JDK140 or over, you can use font with full built-
in bitmap fonts. Unfortunately, you cannot use bitmap font
built-in feature with JDK131. JDK131 font engine uses Kochi
font as scalable font without bitmap built-in fonts.
Supposing you can use Kochi font in JDK, please perform
Notepad.jar to a trial. JDK140's one is better than JDK131's
one.

--
Daichi GOTO
    http://www.ongs.net/daichi, daichi@jp.freebsd.org