Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2016 20:10:04 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Sol=C3=A8ne_Rapenne?= <solene@perso.pw>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need advice for setting up mail server

Le 2016-08-07 20:01, Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff a écrit :
> Solène Rapenne [2016-08-07 19:16 +0200] :
>
>> Hello, you will need a SMTP server like Postfix or OpenSMTPD.
>> You will also need to care with DKIM signing and SPF in your
>> DNS. By running your own mail server you may also have problems
>> to send mails to big companies like gmail, hotmail, yahoo
>> etc... because they tend to blacklist large range of IP and
>> it's hard to get removed on this list.
>
> At this stage I neither have SPF nor DKIM implemented on one of
> my machines (this one I am actually sending you the mail from)
> and so far I had no problems sending mails to "bigger companies".
> I realised that Google started automatically guessing SPF and it
> works for my mail server at least. :-)

I have had issues with SPF since last year for a lot of servers (not
necessaries one of big companies) and I have been rejected recently of
some servers because I wasn't using DKIM. Even if it works without them,
you need to be aware of their existence in case you are rejected.

>> Later you may need to fight against spam with greylisting and
>> spamassassin.
>
> While greylisting is quite effective I had problems with it
> because "bigger companies" tend to send mail from different mail
> server i.e., greylisting won't work that well. I used
> spamassassin years ago and was not very happy with it because
> from my feeling it uses a lot of resources but still has
> difficulties marking spam properly.

This is a problem with greylisting but this could be "fixed" with a
script running every minute whitelisting servers of known domains
checked by reverse dns resolving. It will still add delay because the
server need to retry the sending but it works.